Monday, January 9, 2012

Bucket Bag Sewing Tutorial


       There are fifty million different ways to make one of these, so this is just my take on it. This was my experiment bag, and I just used some scrap linen I had laying around. I would prefer a sturdier bag, so in the future I'll use canvas or duck cloth. This one doesn't have any pockets on the inside, but it would be a simple thing to add some.
      So, here's how you can make one super quick and super simple. Cut two rectangles 15 inches wide by 26 1/2 inches long. You'll need two of your lining and two of your outer fabric.


     Fold the two rectangles in half length wise. Measure across the top 2 1/2 inches. Mark it.


      Measure down the side (not the folded side) 12 inches and mark.


       Cut out that section, curving the corners. When you open it flat, it should look like this.


       Do the same with your outer fabric. You will also need to cut a 9 inch circle out of both your inner and outer fabric. This will be the bottom of your bag. Put right sides together and sew down the sides. Do not sew the straps.


       Put both "bags" together, right sides together.


       Pin it together.


      Sew it all together. Your straps will make a tube through which you can turn the bag right side out. Lastly, sew the straps together at the top.


       Top stitch around all of it to make it neat and tidy. I added a button as an after thought so that I could close the top if I wanted.


       Cute and easy, no? I adore bags of all sizes, styles and colors. They are extremely useful, especially if you have kiddos, who always need extra things carted about everywhere.


      I plan to do some nicer canvas ones for my shop. I think I'll make them a tad bigger and with pockets. I know I'll need just one or two more for my own stash too. =) Happy Monday, have a fantastic week!

  Deuteronomy 33:25  ... and as thy days, so shall thy strength be.

linking to:
Singing three little birds
The girl Creative
The Southern Institute

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I love making bags too.
    Did you use a serger or a regular machine?

    I'm your newest follower too....feel free to stop over and follow back if you would like :)

    Blessings,
    Linda
    www.creativecommotion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete