Monday, May 21, 2012

Sewing Tip - Shirt Cuffs

     Sometimes adding just the smallest little detail on a garment can make a big difference in the over all appearance of it. I think adding a simple cuff to a shirt can be one of those things. For this example, I am using a shirt following these instructions. In this case, however, I used woven fabric, so I added an inch when cutting out the width. For the cuff, cut a strip of fabric 4 inches by the length of the sleeve plus a half inch. Mine was 4 inches by 18.5 inches.



       Sew the strip right sides together.


        Fold it up so the raw edges are together.


     Pin it onto your sewn shirt. Line up the seam to the under arm so it won't be seen.


    Sew it on, and flip it over. Fold it back about three quarters of the width and iron it down. I should look like this.


       This is the inside.


      You can just tack it down, or make a tab with a button. I chose to use some crochet trim and a silver button.




     So sorry, no complete shot of the finished product just yet. Suffice it to say, things have rather exploded around here, and when I get a chance to breath again, I'll tell you all about it! Fun news ahead! Anyway, back to the topic...I do think cuffs add a nice little touch. What do you think? Are you for them or against them?

 Matthew 6:21   For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Abby

    You make this look so simple. I over think when I sew, I'll for sure have to remember to come back here and see this again. Have a great week.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete