Monday, July 16, 2012

DIY Your Stripes

      I buy all my fabric locally, because I have this thing about wanting to see and feel it before purchasing it. There are some disadvantages to doing it that way. One, I'm really limited as to how much I can buy at a time. Bolts in the store typically come with 8-10 yards on them, and you can only get that much if you get to it before anyone else does. The second thing is, I'm limited to their choices of colors and prints. Does anyone else find that fabric stores don't seem to pay too much attention to what's actually in style? Drives me crazy! Needless to say, sometimes I don't feel very inspired by my fabric purchases. So, that's when the only solution is to get a little creative...like make your own fabric.


     I decided to try making my own striped fabric by piecing together two different colors. This top makes me happy because its so sunny and summery looking. You can easily do this by taking the length and width of whatever garment you are making and dividing it into even sections. Don't forget to factor in that you will be sewing the sections together, so you need to remember the extra seam allowances.


    Sew the sections into two large rectangles of fabric, and then cut the garment from the fabric you just created. Pat your seams with a steam iron to get rid of the puckers.


      You could do this to any pattern you like too, by tracing the pattern onto different paper and then cutting it into pieces.


     So much better than plain old boring solid fabric wouldn't you say? Have a grand week!

Ephesians 2:10   For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

10 comments:

  1. Love that style of shirt, not too tight on the upper arms. Did you use a pattern? If so what one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristie,
      Thanks so much for stopping by! I didn't use a pattern, just my own method of measuring a shirt out. You can find how by clicking on the shirts section, and looking at some of the old tutorials. You are right, that style is super comfy! Thanks again,
      Abby

      Delete
  2. That's a brilliant idea - and your end result honestly looks fab! You are a really gifted sewer. Jealous? Moi?!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, this is adorable. What a fantastic idea! I'm all for making clothes - SO much cheaper than buying! Thanks for the tutorial! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing wih us at someday crafts! I will be featuring your project tomorrow morning on our blog. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Missy@somedaycrafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that it would be difficult to make such a beautiful blouse, pen paper writer service but you all described it so clearly and lego that I will try to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good that we have such wonderful website around the web. Thanks and be inspired. webstagram

    ReplyDelete